Search This Blog

Friday, September 22, 2017

Lajim’s bankruptcy status lifted

Lajim Ukin is therefore expected to be re-elected as Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah president during Oct 26 AGM

KOTA KINABALU - Now that Lajim Ukin has been discharged as a bankrupt, he is expected to be reinstated to his post as president of Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah (PHRS) during the opposition party’s AGM on Oct 26.

In the meantime, PHRS deputy president Maijol Mahap today became acting president after Lajim automatically relinquished his post as president due to bankruptcy.

The Klias assemblyman held a press conference here today in response to an announcement in local papers recently of his status by the Insolvency Department.

“Regarding my position as president of Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah (PHRS), according to section 9A of the Societies Act 1966, a bankrupt automatically relinquishes his post in an association or political party,” Lajim said.

“Therefore, in accordance with the law, I automatically cease (being party president) from the date I was announced a bankrupt, which was Sep 14, 2017.

He said that in light of his bankruptcy, the party’s supreme council unanimously agreed that deputy president I Maijol Mahap would be acting president effective from the said date until Lajim could be reinstated as president.

“Although I was released from bankruptcy this morning, I have to abide by the party’s constitution in order to be again made president and Beaufort division chief.

“Only during an AGM can I be reinstated as division head and president. Nonetheless, I remain with the party as a member for now,” he said.

The opposition leader said the court released him from his bankrupt status after the amount in question owed to a bank was fully paid to the Insolvency Department.

Lajim said the problem arose after the person who took over his car failed to service the bank loan.

“The moment I learned about the bankruptcy notice, I arranged for a payment totalling RM185,000 favouring CIMB Bank which was deposited with the Insolvency Department yesterday morning,” Lajim said.

“Yesterday afternoon, my lawyer Maijol Mahap filed an application to annul the bankruptcy as provided for under section 105 (I) of the Bankruptcy Act 1967.

“This morning, Maijol attended a hearing at the High Court and informed me that the bankruptcy had been lifted.”

The former Sabah deputy chief minister also challenged certain quarters to prove their allegations that his bankruptcy was fake or that he received help in the case from government leaders.

“I deny these allegations and challenge them to bring evidence of these accusations,” he said.

“If these allegations persist, I won’t hesitate to sue them in court to clear my name.”

PHRS is a component of a four-party opposition coalition, Gabungan Sabah or United Sabah Alliance.

By Zam Yusa

No comments:

Post a Comment